Thursday, August 22, 2013

Lead Me, Be My Shelter

(deep post about to come your way) In 2004 I went on a mission project to Jamaica. While there we spent a lot of time bonding with the teenagers. We taught each other songs and games and just had a really good time. One of the songs they taught us was "Hear My Cry Oh Lord" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTJpvDmQyxc). I fell in love with the song. It's a simple song that just sings over and over again Psalm 61:1-3
 "Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy." (KJV)
When my heart is overwhelmed. In this process my heart is overwhelmed FREQUENTLY. My heart is overwhelmed by the children who will live on the streets and never know a family. My heart is overwhelmed for the children who will age out of care all over the world and chart a very hard road. My heart is overwhelmed that there are orphans in the first place, a truly painful reality. My heart is overwhelmed that we won't be bringing our children home as fast as I'd like. My heart is overwhelmed by the cost that is facing us financially. My heart is overwhelmed by the fact that we can only bring so many orphans into our family and there will always be so many more.

When my heart is overwhelmed Lord, lead me to the ROCK that is higher than I. Trusting that you God, are the strong tower. Hold those kids who live on the street that they may find some comfort in your arms. Help us be a light to the kids who age out of care that they might find a narrower and brighter path in you. Bring our children home in your timing! You supply for all our needs, show us how to bring in the finances to get these kids HOME! Most of all, plant the seed of orphan care in the lives of your people so that more and more orphans will find their home. Help us be a light in your world so that fewer kids get orphaned by violence and poverty. HEAL the wounds in the hearts of these children God and show them they have never been without a father! Heal our hearts in the process, teach us how to love and bring these kids up to be amazing people. Be a shelter, hear my prayers, lead me to you in all this God.

No comments:

Post a Comment